Help with Downloads
Boots Learning Store downloadable units are executable files. Executable files (those with .exe file extensions, often referred to as exe files) are program files that run (or execute) on your computer. Program files can contain viruses which may harm your computer or infect the network that your computer is part of.
For this reason, many network administrators configure network settings to forbid the downloading of program file types (.exe, .com, .bat etc).
If you see something like 403 Forbidden / Access Denied when you attempt to download one of the Boots Learning Store downloadable units you will need to contact your network administrator. They will be able to advise you about this problem. It may be that they can download the file for you, or they may temporarily change settings to allow you to download it.
PDF (portable document format) files are opened by Adobe Reader. In some cases, Acrobat Reader will attempt to integrate with your web browser (Microsoft Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari etc). This integration can lead to problems when downloading PDFs, if your computer is part of a network (Local Area Network or LAN).
If you experience problems when attempting to download PDFs, try the following steps:
- Close any programs you are running
- Launch Adobe Reader (Start Menu > Programs > Adobe Reader)
- From the Edit menu choose Preferences...
- In the menu on the left hand side, click 'Internet' (or 'Options' in older versions)
- Uncheck the boxes 'Display PDF in Browser' (and in older versions 'Check Browser Settings When Starting Acrobat')
- Click OK
- Close Adobe Reader and restart your web browser